Olympic Cinema
London
2009–2013

Byfeld Hall was opened in 1906. During its life it has been a cinema, dance hall and recording studio used by bands including the Rolling Stones and U2. The scheme creates two cinemas within the original auditorium, and above these, an attic storey office. The foyers, restaurant, private members’ bar and library, and a recording studio are arranged around the original auditorium.

Image 1

  • 0915_N51.jpg
    The exterior is of red brick and stone in the Dutch Baroque style
  • 0915_N37.jpg
    The two cinemas seat an audience of 225
  • 0915_N50.jpg
    Foyer
  • 0915_N52.jpg
    Staircase
  • 0915_N57.jpg
    Restaurant interior
  • 0915_N34.jpg
    First floor plan - cinema and members' bar
  • 0915_N36.jpg
    Drawing shows three new floors - two cinemas and offices - within the original auditorium section

Technical

  • Appointment: 2009
  • Construction start: 2012
  • Completion: 2013
  • Area: 1839m2
  • Form of contract: Design & Build
  • Client: Private
  • Contractor: Shell: Claremont; Fit out: Link
  • Structural Engineer: Rodrigues Associates
  • Quantity Surveyor: Emmaus
  • Planning Consultant: DWD
  • Lighting Designer: Anna Sbokou
  • Cinema Technical Design: Sound Associates
Top ↑